Optomechanical Engineer Intern
Mechanical Engineering Manager
We are seeking students who are self-motivated, who work well with teams, and have a core foundation of critical thinking. The successful candidate will support experienced engineers and engage in trainee experiences based on current educational level. Intern will participate in optical analysis of visible and infrared lenses and systems, including tolerancing of lens systems to maximize performance/yields for specific fabrication processes. Create mechanical CAD tools in the form of templates, tables, and forms to be used by mechanical engineers.
Summary of Duties:
- Analyze and tolerance visible and infrared lens systems
- Develop mechanical CAD templates and drawings for use with optical elements and mechanical components.
- Interface with manufacturing units to develop in-house tolerance guidelines for traditionally polished optics, diamond turning, molded plastics, molded glass, and assembly
- Create a process for establishing a structured Bill of Materials for optical and mechanical components that can be used during quoting efforts.
- Assist the prototype group with testing and/or assembly of optical elements and systems. There is also opportunity to assist with fabricating and assembling measurement systems.
- Present findings to groups of engineers, sales, and customer on a regular basis
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Candidate should have some background in optics
- Has some Solid Works or NX experience
- Familiarity with Zemax a plus
- Experience with MATLAB or other mathematical software a plus
Candidate should have strong written and verbal skills and must be able to effectively communicate technical detail and concepts. Candidate will interface with other engineers on both an individual basis and in small groups.
Candidate must be currently enrolled at an accredited college or university with major study in engineering, physical science, mathematics, computer science, or other field of science. Degree programs must be accredited by the Department of Education. Preferred majors are optics, optical engineering, imaging science, electrical engineering, and physics.
Candidate must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand: use hands to fingers, handle or feel: and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch: and talk and hear.
- The job may involve prolong periods of sitting/standing.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. May involve prolonged periods of magnified inspection (eye strain)
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp.
- The employee is frequently required to use the computer.
- Generally works in a clean environment and works to maintain the environment as such.
- May require area specific safety training, and safety Glasses are required in some areas
- Daily work will primarily be in an office environment with occasional trips to manufacturing. The noise level in the work environment may occasionally be loud.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne paper particles.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Rochester Precision Optics is committed to leveraging the talent of a diverse workforce to create great opportunities for our business and our people.