Title: Quality Engineer
Reports to: Director of Quality
SEE YOUR CAREER THROUGH A NEW LENS WITH RPO!
RPO is a global leader in precision optics, optical components, and
optical assemblies. We specialize in a full spectrum of products &
services including - Design and Engineering, Systems Integration, Lens
Assembly, Visible and Infrared Components, Glass and Plastic Molded
Aspheres, and Thin Film Coating. As one of the fastest growing
companies in Rochester, RPO offers exciting career paths and work on
market-leading programs. See below one of many career opportunities to
join to RPO team!
Provides Quality Assurance technical support for all aspects of the
RPO ISO 9001 quality management system, including evaluation of
requests for quotation, setting up the QA support for new jobs,
supporting existing jobs, records management, and document writing.
Participates in internal quality audits, interacts with suppliers,
customers, external auditors, and co-workers to provide support as
needed. Provides technical support for QC Inspection. Performs and
trains others in QC test and inspection processes. Makes decisions on
product and process acceptability. Recommends appropriate test and
measurement equipment and arranges for equipment calibration. Makes
decisions using the available information. May work in a cleanroom
environment and low-light areas. There may be long periods of standing
while measuring parts and collecting, logging and reporting data.
Summary of Essential Job Duties:
- Explain and interpret ISO 9001 QMS requirements as they pertain to
RPO and its products, processes and services
- Explain and interpret optical and mechanical drawings,
specifications, standards, purchase orders and contracts extracting
the essential information for QA support and risk analysis
- Cleaning, inspection and evaluation of product to specifications
- Lead and participate in internal audits
- Functions as auditor escort during external audits
- Provide QA Engineering support for production, prototype and
engineering activities including risk analysis, quoting, quality and
test plans, inspection and testing, data gathering and analysis,
sample submissions, performance reporting, project close-out, etc.
- Selection and calibration of inspection and test equipment,
working with equipment and calibration suppliers
- Assess gage system status and adequacy
- Make final decisions on product acceptability
- Review, disposition and process RMAs.
- Lead and participate in DOEs, FMEAs, DFMs, DVT, DFM, Lesson’s
Learned and other activities
- Train others in the use of inspection and measuring equipment,
testing, SPC and other subjects
- Write inspection instructions and quality / test plans including
test and measuring equipment usage procedures and procedures
requiring customer approval
- Perform / coordinate environmental, durability, reliability and
other testing as needed
- Assemble and submit FAI and other sample packages
- Review and approve Supplier FAI and other sample Packages
- Work with Supply Chain to improve and control RPO supply base
- Issue, manage, validate and close CAPAs
- Create, manage and participate in ECOs
- Implement and manage RPO document control system
- Interact professionally with Manufacturing, Sales, Purchasing,
Engineering, customers, suppliers, and all other individuals as required
- Identifies and recommends improvement opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarity with QC inspection equipment and techniques.
Familiarity with Optical Inspection and Test equipment preferred.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office. Minitab preferred
- Ability to interpret optical and mechanical drawings, standards
- Familiarity with ISO 9001, AS-9100, AS9102, MIL-STD-810,
MIL-PRF-13830, ISO 10-110 and other standards preferred.
- Familiarity with control of government property preferred
- Ability to use test equipment such as thermal, salt and humidity
chambers and other test equipment preferred.
- Understanding of APQP, PPAP, FMEA, DVT, DFM, DOE, Gage R&R,
Measurement Analysis, SPC, Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, 5S, DMAIC,
PDCA, FAI, etc.
- Ability to work well with people
- Self-starter, capable of working with very little direction
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good Multi-Tasking skills
Requirements and Competencies:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents. Ability
to communicate effectively to team members and management.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts.
- Five years’ experience in quality, manufacturing, optical or
- A.A.S. in Quality, Engineering, Technology or Business discipline
- B.S. Preferred
- ASQ Certifications favorable
- Pursuant to ITAR, EAR, and other export compliance laws and
regulations, applicants for this position must be U.S. Persons as
defined by U.S. law, i.e., U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents
("Green Card" holders), persons granted refugee status or
asylum status in the United States, or temporary residents granted amnesty.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to stand: use hands to fingers, handle or feel: and reach
with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand,
walk, stoop, kneel, crouch: and talk and hear.
- The job may involve prolong periods of sitting/standing.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and
ability to adjust focus and see colors. May involve prolonged
periods of magnified inspection (eye strain)
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger
dexterity, including ability to grasp.
- The employee is frequently required to use the computer.
- May involve the use of oils and solvents.
- Subject to some soilage and irritation from cleaning solutions.
(Lab Coats provided)
- Generally works in a clean environment and works to maintain the
environment as such.
- Safety Glasses are required
- May require area specific safety training
- This position works in a manufacturing environment. The noise
level in the work environment is usually loud.
- The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and
fumes or airborne paper particles.
- May work at different workstations as production needs require, or
shifts from one station to another, during the production process.
- This position may require a moderate amount of travel (Domestic
& International) with the understanding that travel is
absolutely required when market urgencies and opportunities arise.
- Schedule flexibility is required.
Compensation & Benefits:
RPO offers highly competitive, total compensation packages linked
directly to employee’s professional experience. RPO’s benefits
include: Tuition Reimbursement Program, Health Insurance, Dental
Insurance, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, 10 paid holidays,
generous paid vacation and sick time and a 401(k) plan after a 60-day
waiting period. Additionally, we work a 4/10 work week that provides
for every Friday as a non-work day.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of
essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks
that may be assigned. The above statements are intended to describe
the general nature and level of work being performed by people
assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required
of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform
duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time,
Rochester Precision Optics is committed to leveraging the
talent of a diverse workforce to create great opportunities for our
business and our people.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be
required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United
States, and to complete the required employment eligibility
verification form upon hire.